Engaging our communities
By engaging and partnering with a range of people we actively harness our knowledge, make a difference to our communities and benefit from a range of views and voices.
Our research seeks to benefit communities across the country and beyond, and our Legal Advice Centre directly helps our local community access free legal advice.
The Legal Advice Centre
Based on campus and in the community of East Manchester, the Legal Advice Centre provides a service to the local community by providing free legal advice from undergraduate students who are supervised by legal practitioners.
Dementia Law Clinic
The School of Law's Dementia Clinic is a collaborative project with Making Space, and is the first holistic clinic of its kind in the country. It was conceived to support individuals and families with the following.
- Legal Power of Attorney (LPA)
- Provision of care (in relation to care homes)
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS)
- Community Care Assessments
- Trust and Inheritance probate
- Court of Protection
- Disputes of Mental Capacity
Find out more about accessing advice on many different issues surrounding dementia:
Legal Advice Centre
Our Legal Advice Centre helps the community while offering our students opportunities to gain real insights into the legal profession.
- Sir Peter Fahy Public Lecture. 'Thinking about police and public in a more divided world'. 11 November 2015. Watch Peter Fahy's presentation on YouTube
- A delegation, led by Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan, recently attended the School to discuss developing collaboration. 2 November 2015